Sunday, October 30, 2016

Fancy Lolita Tea Time - Royal York's Champagne Afternoon Tea

For October's Lolita meet we decided to go back to the Royal York's Library Bar since the majority of the group did not attend the previous meet up there in April. I found my previous experience there was very enjoyable and their accommodations were very good. 

While looking up the Library Bar's information to make the reservation, I noticed that October and November had a special featured 'Royal' menu to celebrate the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's visit to Canada this year. Below is the menu~

Royal York's Library Bar
In celebration of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's visit to Canada, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts will launch a special A Royal Champagne Afternoon Tea series for the months of October and November.  In collaboration with Chef Darren McGrady of Eating Royally, visitors to select Fairmont locations, including Fairmont Royal York, will have the opportunity to experience a menu fit for a Queen, including favourites of Prince William and the reigning monarch 
Royal Afternoon Tea
Sandwiches
Smoked Scottish Salmon Gravadlax with Suèdoise Sauce
Sage Derby with Tomato
Coronation Chicken with Mayonnaise Bridge Rolls
Roast Beef with Golden Beetroot and Horseradish Crème Fraîche
Potted Shrimp with Warm Melba Toast
Jam Pennies
Additional Sandwiches
Selection of Pastries
Warm Scones with Clotted Cream and Fraise des Bois Compote
Vanilla Bean Shortbread
Raspberry Tartlets with Lemon Cheese
Earl Grey Fruitcake
Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Caramel Banana Cake
Battenberg Cake


Some of the savory and sweet items for afternoon tea.

The day that we all met up, because it was an overcast day and the table was set up in the middle of the room, the lighting was not ideal for taking pictures. We don't have very many pictures of the food or us in the restaurant due to the poor lighting. 

I quite liked the savory items in the menu and did not eat too many of the sweets. Unfortunately, the Royal York forgot my dietary requests that I initially provided in my e-mails, but our waiter was quite accommodating and found me some fruits and sorbet to substitute for the chocolate items. 

Since they lost my request, they also missed my special request to celebrate my birthday during our afternoon tea. I wasn't that disappointed since I did not want to make a fuss about it, but their lack of organization this time around was a bit odd.

Tour of the hotel
Part of the afternoon tea experience at the Royal York comes with a tour and we all opted to join it, I was more curious to see what new areas we would see or not see in the tour. This time around we did not visit the kitchen galleys or the executive suite levels, but got I see more of the large dining rooms and the ballroom. I didn't know that the film, Red, was filmed in locations inside the hotel. We also were allowed to go into the "smallest bar in Toronto", the York Station, that is run by one staff member named Alina. 

Our tour guide mentioned that they only do tours of the roof garden during the spring and summer months. 
Overall, it was a good experience at the Royal York. I prefer the standard afternoon tea menu rather than this special one since I found that all the desserts tasted very similar and sweet. There were some mishaps with the dietary requests and the restaurant lighting but the food was still very delicious and they provided great hospitality. For future reference, I will have to email them a few days prior to confirm my reservation and any special requests so that this does not happen again. 

For this month's Lolita meet, I wore Alice and the Pirates' End of Immortal Eden.


All photos are courtesy of Kimi.  

Until next time, 
stay fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment